The discovery of oil near the Kern River in 1899 brought people to the area creating boom towns such as Oil Center, Oil City and Oildale.
The Standard School District was formed in 1909. Standard Oil Company donated five acres of land for a new school near Oil Center.
This schoolhouse designed by architect Orville L. Clark in 1911 was originally located on Oil Center Road. The building was moved to a new school site on North Chester Avenue in 1918.
Over the years this schoolhouse served a variety of functions until Standard School District donated the building in 1991.