This structure was built to resemble an adobe dwelling in Kern County during the mid 1800s.
This exhibit resembles the assay office at the Yellow Aster Mine in Randsburg, a mining town in eastern Kern County, around 1900.
This structure is a recreated bandstand using wood recycled from what was possibly an old storage building.
The Kern Valley Bank, established on February 24, 1874, was the first bank incorporated in Kern County.
This barn, used to feed and harness teams of horses, was originally located at 1606 “R” Street in Bakersfield.
Barnes Log Cabin
Thomas Barnes built this cabin from logs he retrieved after a 1868 flood.
Beale Memorial Clock Tower
The clock tower originally stood in the center of the intersection at Chester Ave. and 17th St. in downtown Bakersfield.
The Bena Depot was located a few miles west of the Tehachapi Loop.
This blacksmith shop was built at the Calloway Ranch around 1890.
This bungalow was built about 1913 at 1215 L Street in Bakersfield. Fred S. McAtee donated the home in 1987.
This exhibit displays artifacts utilized in a carpenter’s shop around 1900.
The wagon is equipped with a pantry for storing vegetables and bread, a sink, a work space with bins for flour and sugar and a room to hang meat.
Courthouse and Jail
This building, representing a mining era court house and jail, was constructed in 1953 at the museum from salvaged pieces of the court house from Claraville.
One room homes, such as this one, were a common first home for many Kern County pioneers.
H.L. “Jack” Goforth donated this building in 1957. It may have originally been a residence near the town of McKittrick in western Kern County.
Francis M. Carlock operated his dray and transfer business out of this building, which originally stood on 18th Street in downtown Bakersfield.
Fairhaven Pump House
The Fairhaven Water Company built this structure in 1921 to house a well and pump located in the middle of the intersection of Fairhaven Drive and East Drive northwest of Bakersfield.
Fallout shelters were a civil defense measure intended to reduce casualties in a nuclear war.
The Santa Fe Energy Company donated the Hotel Fellows to the museum in 1989.
This railroad flagman’s building was originally located in Monolith adjacent to the Southern Pacific Railroad main line near Tehachapi in eastern Kern County.
Violet Caldwell and Harry Chamberlain donated this structure, originally a two-story farm house located southwest of Bakersfield near Old River, to the museum in 1961.
Dairy owner Christian Mattly built this gazebo next to a dormitory for students enrolled in courses at the Kern County High School farm around 1905.
This exhibit displays artifacts utilized in a harness shop around 1910.
This building, originally located on Brundage Lane in Bakersfield, was the residence of Judge George Flournoy.
The Bakersfield Californian newspaper donated this house to the museum in 1968.
This structure is not an original Joss House. The items on exhibit here were donated by the local Chinese community
Kern City French Bakery
This building, constructed in 1910, was originally the Kern City French Bakery.
Kern County Chamber of Commerce Building
Architect Charles H. Biggar designed this Spanish-style building on land adjacent to the Kern County Fair.
Kern County Fair Exhibit Building
The building is currently being used to house the Museum's Buildings and Maintenance Department.
Elynor Rudnick Falk donated this former residence to the museum in 1977.
In the late 1920s, the house was rotated on its lot to face California Avenue.
Raymond Jones donated this house to the museum in 1959.
Miller and Lux Survey Office
The Buttonwillow Chamber of Commerce donated this building to the museum in 1966.
This exhibit displays artifacts reminiscent of Kern County’s first newspaper office, the Weekly Courier.
This one-room school was built in 1882 north of the town of Rosedale on land donated by local farmer Robert T. Norris.
Kern County is one of the top oil producing areas in the United States.
This exhibit displays artifacts utilized in a photographer’s studio during the 1890s.
Hynda Randolph, William and Amanda Pinkney’s daughter, donated this house to the museum in 1964.
This Southern Pacific jail was one of the first buildings donated to the museum in the late 1940s.
Red Bank Jack Plant
Built around 1912, this jack plant originally operated on the Red Bank lease in the Kern River Oil Field north of Bakersfield.
Santa Fe Caboose #1323
This 1923 caboose served the Santa Fe Railroad in the southwestern states.
Santa Fe Refrigerator Department Car #12661
This car could carry 10,500 pounds of ice to keep food fresh while in transit.
Santa Fe Scale House
The Scale House was located on Railroad Avenue near F Street in downtown Bakersfield.
Thomas W. Quinn donated this portable structure in 1960.
Sonora Street Service Station
Hans and Virginia Nielsen donated this service station to the museum in 1989.
Southern Pacific Daylight Car #2439
The Pullman-Standard Company built this 44-seat passenger car for the Southern Pacific Railroad in 1939.
Southern Pacific Engine #2914
The Southern Pacific Railroad donated Engine #2914 in 1955.
Southern Pacific Telephone Booth
The San Joaquin Division of the Southern Pacific Transportation Company donated the telephone booth to the museum in 1977.
St. John's Episcopal Mission
This church was moved in 1950 when a project to widen Rosedale Highway threatened to demolish the structure.
Over the years this schoolhouse served a variety of functions until Standard School District donated the building in 1991.
Corrals like this were once used throughout Kern County as an enclosure for horses and cattle.
This building, constructed at Kern River Park, now known as Hart Memorial Park, housed park employees and visitors.
The Weill family donated the house to the Museum in 1950.
Raymond F. Stockton and Marjorie M. Stockton, William and Irena Weller’s granddaughter, donated this house to the Kern County Museum in 1957.
This exhibit displays artifacts utilized in a Wells Fargo office in the 1870s.
Woody General Store
Francis and Alda Weringer donated this building to the Kern County Museum in 1957.
For technical questions and
comments regarding this website,
please contact the Webmaster.